On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009, Alan Teeder wrote:
> [...]

Heh :-)  I added the reciprocal filter type to specifically address
this problem.  It's still more of a work-around than a cure though.

> I can't help thinking that there must be another problem
> somewhere. It should only be necessary to up the frame rate above
> 20Hz if you need to simulate vibrations, not aircraft motion and
> autopilot control loops.
>
> A possible cause is if the simulation is not ordered correctly
> and some equations in the solution are receiving old inputs which
> relate to a previous time frame. Errors due to this effect would
> reduce as the frame rate is increased.
>
> Anything in the simulation which has a faster response that that
> provided by a 20Hz frame rate can safely be ignored for
> man-in-the-loop stuff as the man just won't be capable of seeing
> or reacting to it.
>
> Alan

It really depends on what you're trying to do with the autopilot.
As I said, for aircraft that only need relatively slow responses
you can get away with a 20Hz rate, but even then there's little
margin of safety insofar as the controller will be working near its
minimum stable rate.

Where you need faster responses though, you really need higher rates
and it's not just an issue of having a person in the loop.  For
example, one of the things I was playing with on the SU-37 and
YF-23 updates was to intercept stick inputs and have a stick-mode
where the stick set a target pitch & roll instead of controlling
the elevator/elevons/ailerons directly.  In this case I really
needed to achieve a pitch/roll-change rate of 20-30 degrees/second,
without overshoot, and you just can't do that with the controllers
running at ~20Hz.

There's also the added advantage that with a higher resource
availability for the FDM and autopilot controllers you could make
the controllers more predictive by using several samples to match a
curve, instead of just reacting the the difference between
consecutive samples.

LeeE