> Perhaps by adding a
> /ai/models/multiplayer/controls/show-model
> property (or similar) to each multiplayer entry that defaults to true
> (show) but can be set to false to hide the model of that pilot.
>
> Access to these properties could e.g. be via the pilot list as for MP-chat
> ignore.
>
> I'm not entirely sure it is a good idea to add this, though. OTOH if I
> really do not want to see or hear pilot X, then why not give me the option
> to ignore him (as I otherwise probably would have done it mentally anyway
> otherwise).
Without having thought about the technical implementation, the concept of
having "groups" comes to my mind.
Probably some set of predefined groups, like
- Beginner
- Adheres to/provides ATC
- Combat/Fighter on a mission
- Airliner
and/or locally defined groups.
The user can select what groups he belongs to and only gets the MP traffic
from other members of these groups.
If the MP-server knows about these groups and it's members, it is able to
distribute it's data to a limited set of users. This should save some traffic
and might help with a growing community of MP-pilots.
Immediately the idea of using a directory server with LDAP access pops up in
my head.
And, unfortunately, that this does not sound like a trivial task :-(

Torsten