Hi there,

The chances of people in this mailing list misunderstanding that convention are
low, because by and large we're advocates of free software which is
predominantly released under such numbering schemes, but I feel confident I
could take that convention around the engineering office I work in and confuse
a whole lot of otherwise very intelligent people. The (un)washed masses are
used to titles such as 'Office 2007', 'Word 2003', and dare I say it, 'Flight
Simulator 2004'. Those names give some kind of meaning, whereas "Flightgear
1.9.2" to a lay person (no matter how intelligent) probably would not mean a
lot.

FG to me is more developer-driven than user-driven, and I would also think devs
make up a significant proportion of the user base. Devs would be more likely to
be using cvs than stable 1.9.1 as their daily tester/flyer. So long as cvs
keeps working the way it does I cannot see any problem with keeping the scheme
intact for development, but simplifying the fg name a bit for major releases,
since that only happens pretty much annually. How about 'Flightgear 2010' for
the next stable release? Might spark a bit more user interest in the project by
having a more human name for milestone releases...

Just my $0.02 worth again...

Regards,

Chris Wilkinson, YBBN/BNE.