On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 1:07 AM,  <stan.mar...@l-3com.com> wrote:

> Pthreads – I guess I could use the POSIX threads for Win32, but I am curious
> since OpenSceneGraph is already being used, and it uses OpenThreads, would
> it not be better to use OpenThreads instead?   Helpful hints are welcome in
> compiling for pthreads under Windows since the supplied MSVC “solutions”
> don’t apparently include the right setup for this. (“fatal error C1083:
> Cannot open include file: ‘pthread.h’: No such file or directory”)

I couldn't find where the win32 build runs into pthread, all uses seem
to be guarded by preprocessor conditionals and the SGThread isn't
included in the visual studio projects. (I guess it could be removed
from simgear entirely - I don't see any users as we *have* switched to
OpenThreads) Could you be a little more specific about the error?

> Boost – this was a big surprise.  Boost is a great set of libraries, but
> this is a rather huge dependency to miss.  Also, the dependency on Boost
> seems to be small (and therefore easily avoidable?):  the Boost Singleton
> class is used in simgear’s Singleton class, and “foreach” is used in
> fg_os_osgviewer.cxx.   I could probably start a war by suggesting that maybe
> a singleton class should be avoided entirely, but even if one is needed it
> doesn’t seem helpful to pull in the whole Boost library just to get one.  Is
> this a recently introduced dependency?  Is there a graceful way around this
> one?

Yes, boost is a fairly recent addition. It is used in quite a lot of
places by now, I wonder what version of SG/FG you are using. Anyway, I
have a "deboost" branch on gitorious that doesn't require boost.

Csaba/Jester