I am very positive surprised that more people are interested in this
project, than I thought! Some even offer actual help! That is very
encouraging for me - I hope that will not get against me when I confess
that I might not just do a word-by-word translation but also get some
proposals for a general review. Actually I would have wanted to have
some more stuff done in order to show what i mean - but may be it is a
good time to discuss some basics for my doing already now.

I got the idea by doing a lot of ATC-ing now in EDDF - and noticed that
many people would like to fly in a more "orderly conduct" - but lack the
possibility to learn it. Especially also most of the very young (who
first get really mad if somebody tries to tell them what to do) get
interested very much after doing/watching some ATC-guided patterns. But
they need some advise why, what, how - to be read in a "small book" in
their language - most of the Youngsters do not speak English (yet). Most
of them have no idea how nice it can be to learn in a C172 - instead of
just switching on AP in a 747!

While translating the "getstart" I checked some references etc - and got
the idea that several parts are a little outdated or new developments
are merged in without rewriting the existing stuff! That is very OK for
a development guy - for a "little boy/girl hardly knowing any English"
it is often very confusing (and lengthy). Right now I am on chapter 3
(probably the most complicated - Starting FGFS with/without FGrun and/or
Command-Line and/or Command-File for all Operating Systems etc etc). I
found it very very hard even for me to understand what is available for
what and when and how - a kid cannot understand that. So I set myself
some rule - which I hope you can agree to:

I will not just do a word by word translation - but by that a review -
and I will propose changes. I will include the proposals in my draft of
the German-Version - and document all the deviations from the original
for a possible pickup also in the original (or of course also to change
it back in my German proposal!). I will make the work done accessible
for you asap, so we can early discuss what might be good - and what
might not. Give me about 1 more week to finish the proposed "major
reworked Chapter 3" - then we can start.

In short to some remarks made already:

Yes - I am aware that many of the things are also in the wiki - and are
even much more current there. In order to keep the Manual "readable for
kids" I will try to use only the "absolutely needed Basics" out of the
wiki and include pointers to the wiki "for more details see...". In the
Manual itself I would rather shorten some things. e.g. I do not believe
that all (1000 ??) Command-Line-Options must be listed in the manual -
only the most used/needed ones must be there --> and a pointer!

And I have a proposal for people wanting to help "hands on": It is not
really very helpful to point out of a German manual to an English wiki
-- so please have a look into the Manual now - where it refers to
something in the wiki - and translate those basics to German (it seems
that in the wiki other languages get translated more often!). e.g. I
have in work now also the "De/FlightGear Launch Control" - but there are
a lot more which i would consider as Basics for flying/understanding
FlightGear!

For the example of the Helicopter (and similar) I am not yet sure about
the best way: But I am convinced also here we do need a chapter about
the "Basics of how to fly a Helicopter" in the manual -- and point to
the wiki for "enhanced maneuvers" and different types of helicopters
etc. etc. (Helicopter-flying seems to be THE trend right now!).
thanks for any help
joe