On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:37:42 +0200, HB-GRAL wrote in message
<4bcb97c6.90...@sablonier.ch>:

> I am running a MacBookPro OSX 10.5

..this is the most recent OSX?  64bit dualcore Intel?
Maxed out ram yet?  What screen resolution?
What frame rates have you seen this far on it?

..<snip stuff I dunno. ;o) >.

> Is my MacBookPro out of date with RadeonX1600 now?

..only if Apple has end-lifed it (which I doubt), and
not if you can run it with X.org's "radeon" driver.

..as a backup idea; try boot it with a recest GNU/Linux Live CD or
LiveUSB stick, it should default to X.org's "radeon" (or the "ati"
wrapper) driver, and on your X1600, "radeon" should beat all other
drivers.

..run it from ramdisk, and "install FG" onto that same ramdisk,
that approach saves you from touching your OSX install and shows
you what the X1600 etc hardware _can_ do. ;o)

..GNU/Linux benchmarks with tweak ideas that _may_ work for
OSX too, OSX runs on top of Apple's "version" of *BSD Unix:
http://www.free3d.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoronix
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/R300Benchmark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#FOSS_drivers