I am by no means an aerodynamicist myself either, but I'll give my 2
cents.

Like you said, as smooth surfaces as possible reduce drag and therefore
improve their flight dynamics. For example on gliders, it is normal to
wash the entire plane after a days worth of flying because of the
squashed bugs, which would reduce the gliders gliding ratio due to
increased drag.

Then again, it's probable that not all planes require such great detail
to their flight dynamics. I think there's a trade off between drag (and
induced fuel consumption) and cost.

--
Mats Rauhala
sip:mas...@ekiga.net