2010/11/21 Tim Moore <timoor...@gmail.com>:

> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Scott Hamilton
> <scott.hamil...@popplanet.biz> wrote:
>>

>>  The important point here is that it has been nearly twelve months
>> since the last major release, the codebase appears to be looking
>> forward, and in the past it has required quite a bit of planning and
>> work to ensure we have a consistent and stable product to release.
>>
> I'm not sure which changes provoked your initial email. The tile manager
> change is big, but it addresses longstanding, severe bugs. My property tree
> hash work was also in response to bugs, and I think we've established that
> it is not in fact a major change. James' work isn't changing anything yet,
> as far as I know.
>>
>>  Part of that work is first finding a suitable point in time and code
>> to take a snapshot of the code, that includes simgear, flightgear and
>> fgdata. Then I think it would be wise to test that snapshot and fix any
>> of the problems that may be uncovered. But before we can start any of
>> that, we have to make a decision to make a release and set a tentative
>> release date.
>
> "We" are going to make a release branch "soon."
> Tim

Hi all,

I am not myself a developer of Flight Gear but it seems to me that a
release branch could already be created now ? It is a cheap decision
to make, and an even cheaper action to do. It does not prevent the
core code from making progress for the near and far future while
allowing the release to be fixed at the same time. All bug fixes would
go in both the release and 'next' branch, other development would go
in the 'next' branch only. Well, nothing really new but given that FG
switched to git a few months ago, why not taking advantage of it ?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Bertrand.