On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 8:37 AM, I wrote:
> Adding symbolic names along with some helper functions for disabling them in
> Nasal/gui.nas is pretty easy.  I'm happy to take on writing the code etc.
> Probably not today though!

It turns out that Nasal/gui.nas already had a menuEnable function for
enabling or disabling entire menus or individual menu items using
unique names rather than the labels. Names already exist for the
autopilot menu and the Fuel & Payload dialog.  So, the fix is for the
aircraft to make use of this e.g.

gui.menuEnable("fuel-and-payload", false);

We can add new names for any other menus that we might want to disable
on a per-aircraft basis, but from a quick skim through the menus I
couldn't see any other candidates.

-Stuart