Hi, Peter

I have done from an old code by Gérard a process which answer to the
request.
It adjust the altitude of the Carrier, when cruising, according to the
visual surface of the water.
But mistake, it does answer to any condition, including the Tsumani effect
when two tiles are not the same hight.
The presentation of the project is there:
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11043
It should, could, must, be improved.

Hi, Jean

I have tried to use your patch, i could not get it to work.
Seems to get the same issue than with an old version by Gérard.
geodinfo  is giving the terrain_hight, which is the carrier Deck surface not
the water surface.

2011/1/25 Peter Brown <smoothwater...@adelphia.net>

> On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Curtis Olson wrote:
>
> > Quick explanation: the world is curved (oblate spheroid) so if in order
> to have an ocean that measures zero MSL at all points, it would have to be
> curved.  To do this perfectly requires a *lot* of polygons.  We have been
> using large polygons for the ocean so that leads to some errors depending on
> where you are within the polygon.  Near the verticies will be pretty
> accurate, near the middle could be off by a few meters.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Curt.
> >

> I don't know how big the tiles are, but I ran a ground vehicle due west
> from the Golden Gate Bridge to see what the variation was.  It may just be
> that the first tile is out of whack?   From terrain edge out to 21 miles it
> goes down and back up.   From 21.2 miles out to 100 miles it's totally flat.
>
> Ocean surface as compared to 0 MSL :
> Golden Gate Bridge : 0
> Terrain edge/Ocean start/End of channel : 0
> Nimitz : -7m MSL
> 17 Miles out : -7m MSL
> 21.1 miles out : -3.7 MSL - At vertical wall, assuming Tile edge
> 21.2 miles out : 0 MSL - Up on new tile(?)
> 70 miles out : 0 MSL
> 100 miles out : 0 MSL
>
> Screenshots of locations with lat/lon:
>
> http://s512.photobucket.com/albums/t325/barefootr/Flightgear/Sea%20Level%20West%20from%20SFO/