Hi Gary,

I think I've beat the model pretty much into submission now.  I was able to
export as .ac, but the scaling was off by 2.54 ... hmmm where have I seen
that number before?  I figured out how to scale and reposition the model in
blender <wow!> <and there was much rejoicing.> :-)  Then all the faces were
totally faceted so I figured out how to smooth the surfaces in blender
<wow!!!> <three exclamation marks on that!!!>

That got me to the point where I could manually edit the material
definitions in the .ac file and setup the ambient and diffuse properly, also
got the tires back to black ... and rescaled the textures .... 3000x3000 is
probably over kill.

So I'm learning more about blender than I want to know ... and I hesitate to
even say this because in 2 years some guy in some far away land is going to
be googling, decide I'm a blender expert and now I'll be doing blender tech
support for the rest of my life ... got to love the internet!

Curt.

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Gary Neely <grne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Gary,
> > Worked perfectly ... turns out I don't need to specify a global model ...
> > can just load submodels and give them names and use them.  A global
> > offset/rotation does work.
> > Now I'm having trouble with that whole ambient/diffuse thing and my model
> > surfaces that aren't pointed at the light are all black ... this is a 3ds
> > model ... is there an easy way to patch that up?
> > I've figure out about 0.01% of blender ... and so far that hasn't
> included
> > material properties or object hiearchies.
> > Thanks!
> > Curt.
>

> Curt,
>
> I'm not siginificantly familiar with the 3ds format-- it might be
> possible to directly edit the material settings and augment ambient
> values, etc. Someone else may be able to answer that.
>
> Is conversion to another format like .ac an option? If so and the
> models are not terribly complex, I would be happy to attempt the
> conversion for you. I deal with this sort of thing frequently at work,
> so it's probably not a big deal. If interested, feel free to send me
> the models and I'll give it a shot.
>
> -Gary

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/