From: "Jack Mermod" <jackmer...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 12:41 AM
To: "Devel List" <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Default Aircraft Candidates

> I wasn't planning to get into an argument over the 777-200, but yes it
> does have an unrealistic FDM.
>
> See here:
>
> http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/891/picture5mj.png
>

> Are you telling me this is realistic too?

I would say that this technically possible.

Limiting factors would be the structural strength of the aircraft (in this
case the amount of negative G that the airframe can take) and the ability of
the fuel system to keep the engines running when inverted. No doubt the
gyros would have all tumbled.

When I was responsible for the research simulator at BAC Weybridge  I would
sometimes try such stunts with aircraft such as the VC10. It was very
difficult to do the whole of any looping manoeuvre whilst keeping within the
flight envelope. (safe speed and G loading)

The sheer power-to-weight ratio of such aircraft when empty is amazing. I
remember being a passenger on a test flight with Brian Trubshaw in command
doing circuits and bumps in a VC10 at RAE Bedford as part of the autoland
program. There were only a couple of jump seats in the passenger cabin and I
was standing at the cockpit door watching the plane land itself. It was
necessary to hang on very tightly each time that the throttles went forward
for the next go-around.

Alan