On 02/22/2011 04:09 PM, Ryan M wrote:
> I am not a 777 pilot in real life, but I certainly agree with Jack that
> the FDM seems unrealistic to the casual pilot.

For those interested (Curt made me look at a YASim file last week for
the first time in over a year, so my head happened to be in the right
place), I took a peek at why this would be:

The 777-200 configuration I see in HEAD on gitorious has an approach
setting that says it can stay in the air with 7 degrees of AoA (about
half of the available lift) at 120 kts with 80% of its fuel and a full
load.  That strikes me as more than a little optimistic.  This is a long haul
jet, its fuel is a big fraction of its maximum weight, and typical
landings for jet like this are made at what, 15% fuel or less?  (It
can stay in the air for 11 hours, and you only need 45 minutes of
reserve fuel, right?)

So some quick math says that if you take this aircraft which can
produce 1G at 120kias and reduce its mass by a factor of 1.74x by
dropping the passengers and using 10% fuel, and pull it up to a stall
AoA, you'll get 3G of acceleration.  Speed up to just 207 kias, and
you can pull 9G in this plane.  Yeah, that's a fighter jet.

I'd suggest 131 kts (which matches the landing speed in the coments)
and 10% fuel and see how that works.

Andy