On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Gary Neely wrote:

> Syd places an enormous amount of effort and care into his models. If
> it were me, I'd think twice before questioning something he did, and
> I'd be darned sure I did my homework first, because it's certain he
> will have. But if he says he's interested in suggestions for
> improvements, he means it, and without ego.
>
> I have a friend who worked as a mechanical safety inspector at the
> Miami airport cargo facility back in the mid-90's, and he used to tell
> me of how unladen aircraft would sometimes depart at seemingly
> unbelievable steep angles. It was from his descriptions that I first
> started to understand the power of those engines that sit hidden in
> the throats of airliner intakes.

I don't know what engine the FG 777-200 uses, but if it were equipped with
a pair of GE-110B engines, you're looking at 220,200lbs of thrust on an
airplane with an empty operating weight of about 297,000lbs.  That's
really close to a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio and as a result that bird
will climb like a homesick angel. :)

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007