From: Curtis Olson [mailto:curtol...@gmail.com]

                Jon: I respect your position, but I humbly ask then that you
please post or send me your letters for usage permission from Boeing,
Airbus, Douglas, Lockheed, Aérospatiale, BAC, deHavilland, McDonnell,
Cessna, Fokker, (New) Piper, etc. etc.  all of which (and more) you have
modeled in JSBSim and distribute on the official JSBSim web site.

                Best regards,

                Curt.

Curt,

As you may recall, a few years ago myself and at least one other JSBSim
developer did have an event that caused us to look over our "operating
procedures" - and I won't go into the details, but suffice it to say that it
was not a pleasant experience, although it turned out OK and in my case I
was apologized to for the inconvenience. I never did figure out the exact
reason why I was contacted and "questioned."

As you may also recall I did post the correspondence I received from Boeing
IP personnel here in this thread a couple of weeks ago. It was that response
that lead us to reevaluate our process and to withdraw some aircraft models
from distribution for a while. We then added some disclaimers and statements
in most of them and made sure that our data was traceable to public sources.

We have it much easier than FlightGear does, since the reference to an
aircraft "type" using the company name (such as "Boeing 737") is far
different than the use of a trademark or logo - particularly for a logo.

I can't tell you guys what to do, but if it was me I would take maybe one of
two approaches:

1)      Make a README file that contains an appropriate disclaimer and
distribute that with each model. I don't know what that disclaimer would
state.
2)      Continue as if nothing had changed, but contact the various
trademark/logo owners and very carefully inform them of the project and ask
them for permission.

In any case, I strongly suspect that the worst that can happen is that if a
company takes issue with the unauthorized use of its IP it will simply ask
that further use be discontinued and that will be the end of it.

Jon