From: Curtis Olson

                Hi Jon,

                I apologize for being persnickety here, but I am searching
for clarity and consistency on this issue.

                Has the JSBSim project asked permission from all the
aircraft manufacturers that you create and distribute models for?

                If not, have you only dealt with Boeing in terms of asking
for and receiving permission?

                If you've only received permission from one company, then
why?  I assume it's because they contacted you and forced this issue.  In
any case,  why is it ok to proceed with explicit permission from Boeing, and
at the same time ok to proceed *without* explicit permission from every
other aircraft manufacturer on the planet?

                If it's ok for JSBSim to proceed without permission from
most companies, then why suggest that FlightGear should get permission
before we model aircraft from various manufacturers with logos representing
various owners of specific aircraft?

Curt,

Actually, I contacted Boeing myself - and only Boeing. It was for no other
reason than it's the only one (with the exception of the Fokker aircraft)
that mention a company name. [I have no reason to believe that they were in
any way responsible for the complaint that lead to the "incident" years
ago.] The other aircraft names in the JSBSim CVS repository do not feature
the company name or any other trademark, logo, or other proprietary
material. The type names such as 172, 747, F4N, etc. are not proprietary or
trademarked designations or anything, as far as I can tell. Nevertheless, we
went beyond what was probably necessary and included a disclaimer in many
(perhaps all?) of the aircraft in the JSBSim repository, taking the input
from Boeing and proceeding with an excess of caution.

To be safest we probably ought to rename the Fokker aircraft models as F100
and F50.

Jon