On Friday 08 April 2011 13:44:49 Martin Spott wrote:
> Martin Spott wrote:
> > Ron Jensen wrote:
> >> Martin: Can we PLEASE ungzip apt.dat in the repository so we can track
> >> changes to it!
> >
> > The GIT repository you mean ? Ask those who decided do put a compressed
> > file there, _I_ am just continuing an old tradition.
>
> BTW, are you still referring to this one ?
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg28068
>.html

Yes

> Please consider my response "c)" here:
>

> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg28111
>.html
>
> .... before blaming me/us on behalf of your private adventure. _I_
> still consider FG as sort of a collaborative work, so if _you_ are
> taking a different position in this very context of the 'apt.dat' file,
> tell me why I should care.

1. Well, someone updated KVUO with a 'bad' runway marking type. Without a
history we can't know who, so we can't ask why. Perhaps _you_ have a record,
but that is not 'collaborative work.'

2. I have played with many airports while working on genapts (and yes, I have
shared the genapts changes back.) The work I've done on the airports may or
may not reflect real life so those changes should not be necessarily
propagated back to the master data.

3. Without a git copy of apt.dat I can't tell what I've changed and what I
have not, so I'm not sure what to 'share' back. Simply gunzipping the current
binary blob and diff-ing doesn't do it, because I don't know what in the blob
changed externally and what I changed while playing. So by keeping the entire
file gzipped you are blocking me (and others) from effectively collaborating.

4. I think I have shared a few airports back through Robin (KHIF, 42U, CYKF,
CNC4 come to mind)

5. Just because I prefer to _not_ use your scenery and roll my own does not
make me an un-collaborative person.

V/r
Ron