Ron Jensen wrote:
> On Friday 08 April 2011 13:44:49 Martin Spott wrote:

>> Please consider my response "c)" here:
>>

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg28111
>>.html
>>
>> .... before blaming me/us on behalf of your private adventure. _I_
>> still consider FG as sort of a collaborative work, so if _you_ are
>> taking a different position in this very context of the 'apt.dat' file,
>> tell me why I should care.
>
> 1. Well, someone updated KVUO with a 'bad' runway marking type. Without a
> history we can't know who, so we can't ask why. Perhaps _you_ have a record,
> but that is not 'collaborative work.'

As already stated several times (on this list), the collection which I
started and which is now available via the file at:

  http://mapserver.flightgear.org/apt.dat.gz

....  and the list at:

  http://mapserver.flightgear.org/Apt.Dat.txt

isn't "maintained" in the style like Robin's airport collection is.
It's just a minimal solution for the sole purpose of preserving the
various updates and additions, which were floating around in forum- or
mailing list posts or on random websites, from getting lost in space
and to make all of them available to everyone with as little effort as
possible.  It's far from being perfect but I think it's serving this
minimal requirement pretty well.
Indeed, if there were the need to identify the author of a particular
airfield layout (may it be for licensing issues) I _am_ able to track
it down - but I hope I'll never have to.

But that's not the point. If you're identifying whichever issue
concerning one of the layouts, I think the best you can do is to post
the finding on this very list, as you did in the current case.  We
don't necessarily have to identify the author or a particular layout
just for the simple purpose of applying an obvious fix.
I the case of KVUO the airfield layout was directly exported from
TaxiDraw and the tool to import the file into a PostGIS database didn't
complain, thus I assume there's a mismatch between the logic in
TaxiDraw and the specific requirements of 'genapts'.  I "assume" - but
I didn't verify ....  ;-)

BTW, if anyone would like to nicely "maintain" the 'apt.dat' file in a
different, "better" (TM  :-)  way than I do, I'll happily hand the
'job' over to whomever volunteers, I'm happy about every responsibility
I can shove off my shoulders.  I can offer webspace, processing- and
download bandwidth to the future maintainer, if that's an issue, thus
keeping a public copy of the file at it's current 'home' is an option
but not a requirement.

> 3. Without a git copy of apt.dat I can't tell what I've changed and what I
> have not, so I'm not sure what to 'share' back. Simply gunzipping the current
> binary blob and diff-ing doesn't do it, because I don't know what in the blob
> changed externally and what I changed while playing. So by keeping the entire
> file gzipped you are blocking me (and others) from effectively collaborating.

Oh, because _you_ are unable to version your own !! local copies of the
file, _I_ am "blocking" you and others ....  Are you serious ?

> 4. I think I have shared a few airports back through Robin (KHIF, 42U, CYKF,
> CNC4 come to mind)

Excellent, did you check wether Robin has incorporated these updates
into his release until August 2008 ?

> 5. Just because I prefer to _not_ use your scenery and roll my own does not
> make me an un-collaborative person.

I'm not talking about "using 'my' Scenery", I'm talking about sharing
airfield layout updates.

Cheers,
        Martin.