Am 04.09.11 15:01, schrieb Gijs de Rooy:
> Why not use Xplane's WED? Appears to be open-source (didn't check the license
> though) and works with the 850 format...

Hi Gijs

I use QGis because with this one I edit current shape database directly,
without any "conversion" of anything. And most of the geospatial
resources like srtm data I need are avaiable als over- or underlays etc.

To get XPlane gpl airport data into a postgres/postgis database as ESRI
shapes you can use the ogr2ogr gdal plugin written by Robin Peel exactly
for this purpose. Once you have this data in the database you can
connect to the database with QGis and you see the points/lines/polygons,
can edit this, save the result back to the database. No conversion and
parsers etc. needed.

Something we need, as I understand current ongoing processes is probably
a QGis python or grass extension once which can write out to the current
scenery format.

> Brings me to another question, are we allowed to use Robin's latest apt.dat,
> once we can handle the new format? Looks like that day isn't too far away
> anymore http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13240

Robin Peels data is GPL2 and can be downloaded and used. Only one thing
is not allowed, that is what I read in the forum, seeking the data, work
on it and keep it private "out of GPL", like stated here
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13240#p134757 by
mike4lin. This is complete rubbish, the original data is GPL, and also
the edited data.

Cheers, Yves