On Sun, 2011-09-04 at 15:01 +0200, Gijs de Rooy wrote:
[snip]
> Brings me to another question, are we allowed to use Robin's latest
> apt.dat, once we can handle the new format? Looks like that day isn't
> too far away anymore
> http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13240
>
> Gijs

Hi Gijs,

Maybe I have the wrong understanding here but the
only reason we do not use the latest 850 apt.dat
is that it contains some 7,671 airports _NOT_ yet
in our scenery 1.0.1...

So if you used this new data, and selected one
of those 'missing' airports, you would just be
placed in a field - with no airport/runways visible...

Maybe in some cases, some of these airports may have
been added to the custom scenery data (via terrasync)
but that I do not know... and some individual efforts
like that in the forum messages...

And conversely, using 850 you would NOT be able to
select some 301 airports that are in our 810 data, thus
drawn in our scenery 1.0.1, but are _NOT_ now in 850!

And perhaps some similar problems with matching
ILS/DME etc...

I guess the really _BIG_ question is, is there anyone
in our community currently working on re-generating
world wide scenery, taking advantage of this later
database?

I would certainly offer to help in any way I can in
such a mammoth undertaking...

I hope some others can clarify this very important
scenery question...

Regards,
Geoff.

OT: While recently testing Qt QThread interface I
chose to load our FG 810, and compare it roughly with
XP 850 - see http://geoffair.org/projects/qt_test_gui.htm
where I also compared nav.dat, awy.dat and fix.dat
files - FG versus XP (GPL) data seems to have a 90% plus
correspondence, at least in 'names' - I did not do
complete exact position/location testing...