> As for the topic brought up here, I sense a bit of sentimentalism
> clouding the technical judgment of some.
(...)
> In a positive creative development structure you leave the contributors
> their freedom.
>
> "Contribute your planes!" rather than "Come to Gitorious, ask for our
> permission to get your repository, work under our supervision! Work,
> work, my busy bees, and make us planes for our big master-repository!"

Freedom naturally finds its limits where it impacts on the freedom of
others - you seem to miss this point.

You always have the choice to make your development available in whatever
form and license you like. You can create your own hangar, present your
work there, are free to use whatever license you like, are free to offer
whatever level of user support you like, you can even sell your addons ...

You can also offer your work as part of 'The Flightgear Project'. Once you
decide to do so, it is no longer your freedom to do what you want with
your work - it is under the control of 'The Flightgear Project', you may
have to compromise, you can't choose your license,.... But you get
something in return for giving up that freedom - you get to use the
official Flightgear infrastructure (you aircraft will be for download on
the official page, others test compatibility, other developers may take
care of your work when you're not around, others will feel responsible to
provide support if they can,...).

You seem to entertain the idea of a free lunch - get the goodies which
being part of the Flightgear project has to offer, but keeping the freedom
to do what you want. That may be a positive creative development structure
from your personal point of view, but certainly not for everyone else who
is then supposed to provide infrastructure for you.

This has nothing to do with what technical possibilities GIT offers, or
what GIT is about - it's just common sense that there has to be a balance
between give and take whenever people interact and work together. So, if
you like your complete freedom, you can't be part of a collaborative
project. It's as simple as that, being part of a bigger project always
implies giving up that complete freedom.

Cheers,

* Thorsten (R)