Am 16.12.11 18:08, schrieb HB-GRAL:
> Am 16.12.11 11:26, schrieb HB-GRAL:

>>> You see, in order to avoid confusion, having just one operational
>>> arrestor would have been the clever solution.

Maybe we need different devices.

>>> We're trying to simulate real-world, don't we ?  Sure, we're not
>>> perfect but I think we're doing our best within the limits of our
>>> ressources.  Thus, intentionally leaving an inoperational arrestor in
>>> place (instead of fixing it) sounds a bit odd ....

Real-world means, there are some non-operational devices around ;-)
Hm, just found this one and thought, sometimes it would make sense to
engage the BAK-12 for a Cessna too, but thats not real world, is it?

THE ACFT VEERED OFF THE RWY DURING TAKEOFF GROUND RUN AND NOSED OVER.
THE PLT INIDCATED THAT DURING THE TAKEOFF HIS SEAT SLID REARWARD AND HE
WAS UNABLE TO REACH THE THROTTLE OR THE RUDDER PEDALS.

But this is not serious of course, Yves!

Now the BAKs. Ai, ai, ai. It is more complicated than I thought (as
ever, hrmpfl!). I can get some distances, but not all. And the points I
provided are for BAK-9 and not BAK-12. And FAA does not have the BAK-12
or other device  distances in the table (with some exceptions I will
cover later).

There are some standards defined (FAA AC 150/5220-9A):
http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/advisory_circular/150-5220-9A/150_5220_9a.pdf
(Hey, this is probably also a cool source to improve the model?)
And here a link to a article with useful information chez boeing
aeromagazine:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_13/runway_story.html
- Here a short video of a mobile device in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoyrDfA90Ac
and more about mobiles:
http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/AFH10-222V8.pdf
- Minimize the impact to commercial airplane operations
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/faqs/arrestingsystems.pdf
- any other sources around I missed ?

- Our model(s) should depend on runway width (maybe three models for
150/200/300' ar sufficient ?). (Another question came up btw. "Shouldn’t
this device data go into apt.dat runway definition somehow, like
stopways and lightning ?". I would vote for that, but I do not see any
possibilities unless we provide a own and modified apt.dat or xplane has
some plans to improve this small part too, like it is in with stopways i.e.)

Now when I look to charts I find visually more data than in FAA tables.
But the overrun distances on runways are not reflected, the symbol is
placed where it looks nice on a chart. So I need the length of the
overrun from somewhere else, then I can calculate the device coordinates
on runway. I found some values in FAA airport remarks and in NOTAMs,
other values will be "estimated", but I tend to take only data published
in FAA data nd NOTAMs, and leave the rest.

Now for preparing better data for the scenery I can

a) take FAA defined base/reci EOR coords, subtracting overrun per runway
(disadvantage: the updated FAA coords differ from xplane data
someplaces, the runway ends and center may differ, so without change to
the runway lines of the fg apt.dat facility the devive can be misplaced)

b) take current FlightGear apt.dat center point of runway, calculate
ends and subtract overrun where I can find it (disadvantage: when fg
apt.dat is updated once with more accurate data the device will be
misplaced too).

c) Take xplane 8.50 runway data in the hope it is updated with current
FAA data. (disadvantage: I always have to check 3 data sources for
inconsistency, fg/xplane/FAA)

Personally I prefer a), trying to provide also current runway data
associated, published by FAA and not by xplane. I am not sure about
that, but I think newer xplane data version are updated with FAA data
anyway from time to time, and when WE go for an update, the runway AND
device data will be correct. I can not estimate how many runways are
affected with changes when I choose a), but I guess it is not that much.

I would really like when someone starts to improve the model(s),
probably think about "scenerarios", making the barriers operational in a
sophisticated way, cares about materials, cares about lbs, making it
interactive (tower/pilot)

Cheers, Yves

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011