Stuart

> On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> > I've already managed to use a second texture to mask where trees are
> > placed. The following screenshot shows a golf course where I've used
> > a mask so that the random trees are only placed in the rough.
> >
> > http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/golf.jpg
>
> As an update on this, I've now written some code to apply the same
> technique to the random objects and rotations, so the green channel
> determines the random vegetation density, the blue channel determines
> random object (i.e. building) density, and the red channel indicates the
> rotation.
>
> Using the DDS textures, the effects can be quite convincing:
>
> http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/object_mask.jpg
>
> Note that these are all "random" objects - none of the buildings or trees
> were
> placed manually.
>
> The rotations aren't perfectly aligned with the textures, but it's fairly
> close.
>
> Vivian - are you anticipating the materials-dds.xml file replacing
> materials.xml
> at some point? Any plans for further DDS texture work?
>
> Creating the masks is a bit of work, and not something one would want to
> do if the textures are likely to change.

No, there is no intention to replace the materials.xml file with the
materials-dds.xml file, at least while there are those systems that cannot
use .dds. Equally, we cannot, for obvious reasons, backport all of the new
stuff in dds format to png, so over time the two files will drift further
apart. There are significant gains in performance and appearance by using
dds, so it's worth running both formats in parallel.

The current phase of work is largely complete; I think Emilian has some
tidying up to do.

Apologies for the tardy reply: I replaced one of my HDD with a SSD on
Christmas Day - it worked well for 3 hours or so then it all fell apart. The
hardware is fine - but I'm still rebuilding all the software from scratch. I
expect to have it all back by the end of the weekend. (OK, I'm an optimist.)

Vivian