On Monday 05 March 2012 02:53:59 Francesco Angelo Brisa wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was going to take some time to put my hands on some aircraft, before
> beginning I have some little questions:
>
> Aerostar 700:
> * The airspeed indicator looks like to be a default one (With no colored
> bars for velocities). is this due to the fact that it is as in the real
> aircraft or just because nobody worked on it ?
>
> Generic questions...
> * asi-300:
> how was the asi-300.rgb (under Aircraft/Instruments-3d/asi300 folder)  made
> ? is it from some sort of svg ? if yes, where can I find it ?

Not the same one, but:
http://www.jentronics.com/fgfs/temp/asi001.ps
http://www.jentronics.com/fgfs/temp/asi001.xcf

the postscript file can be edited for different scales...

> * Analogic instruments:
>  I was looking at two amazing done aircrafts: the DR400 and the Cessna 337;
> the DR400 has instruments with a glass reflection (Which is very nice and
> realistic) the C337 does not have it. I personally slightly prefer the C337
> way, a little more clean, but it is just my feeling. the question: what
> would you suggest to do, if I want to take an aircraft, add a instrument,
> which type should I use ? i.e. if I want to add instruments to the C310.

Personally, I hate the glass shaders covering instruments and windows. I want
to actually fly these aircraft and not drool over how 'real' they look.
Flying means I need to be able to actually read the instrument, so I often
prefer larger fonts and bolder lines than perhaps the original had.

> http://i41.tinypic.com/10huog1.jpg
>
> [image: Immagine in linea 1]
>
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/images/f/fd/Cessna337-avionics.png
> [image: Immagine in linea 2]
>
> * I was looking on internet to some cockpit image of some FG aircraft. what
> I have found is a lot of different custom instruments set of the same
> aircraft model. If I want to take an empty cockpit aircraft and I want to
> add instruments to it, can I just choose a "cockpit model" and use it as
> reference ? or is some kind of basic instruments set for any aircraft type
> ? I hope I explained myself well...

The original idea to have a basic set of instruments in Instruments-3d hasn't
always worked out so well because underlying concepts of how things should
work varied from designer to designer. Its my opinion things bit-rot slower
if the instrument lives in its own aircraft.

Thanks,
Ron