Eric van den Berg wrote:

> How a parking brake on small aircraft works:

Well, from my experience I'd say there are almost as many different
types of small-aircraft parking brakes as there are different
manufacturers.  I remember having flown at least six different types of
small aircraft by three different manufacturers and in these aircraft
you'll find three or four different implementations (depending on how
close you look at the details) of a parking brake.
I'm really talking about different techniques, not just different
designs or positions of a parking brake handle.  The only thing these
aircraft had in common is that the brake discs (one or two maybe even
had drums) are being operated hydraulically.  Some very light aircraft
or microlites are having the discs/drums operated directly by the
Bowden cable without hydraulic transmission.

Therefore, if you're aiming at defining a general rule for mapping
small aircraft parking brakes, make it as flexible as possible.

> So the parking brake will have two effective settings: open and
> closed.

Indeed, that's true for _some_ of the small aircraft, but it's untrue
for some other very popular types.

Cheers,
        Martin.