On Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:13:21 Renk Thorsten wrote:
> > Why should those users be forced to give up on those goodies just
> > because one
> > part of the rendering scheme doesn't want to play by the rules? Even
> > more so  when there's no indication that happens...
> >
> > The default max visibility value is a pretty sane default, and simply
> > increasing that to huge values without any kind of  warning  of  the
> > implications provided to the unaware user is simply _BAD_DESIGN_ imho.
> > (As is disabling the z/Z key behaviour in one of the weather options,
> > again without any warning provided whatsoever).
>
> Fact check:
>
> 1) I'm proposing to set the distance out to which the terrain is
> unconditionally  loaded to a value of 20 km. The hard-coded default max
> value of the visibility is currently 120 km. FGs default visibility at
> startup is about 16 km (and I'd be fine with that value as well).
>
> No idea why my proposed 20 km would be a 'huge value'.

I was talking about the 16km value (sorry for not being more clear about that)

> 2) & 3)
I wasn't talking about these, neither was Vivian.

> 4) z/Z is disabled because weather comes with a model for the vertical
> change of visibility as you go to different altitudes. You are allowed to
> affect that model (that's what sliders are for), but you are not supposed
> to micro-manage the weather simulation. There's a clear idea behind all of
> this, which is that in Advanced Weather you trust the simulation to have an
> understanding of weather and terrain and get the details right, you do not
> adjust the details. I'm not forcing any Basic Weather user to the Advanced
> Weather philosophy, don't try the reverse on me.
>
> Leaving your obvious expression of dislike for Advanced Weather aside, is
> there anything in your post which has relevance for what we're discussing
> here? If yes, please explain.
>
> * Thorsten

There's no warning/statement about what that selection implies, nowhere.
The average user doesn't know what that will do to his system, or how it will
change behaviour of other parts, that seem unrelated, nor has he control over
a simple thing that might improve his experience, while enjoying both high
detail scenery+objects and advanced weather.

Sorry, but for me, forcing your usage-pattern on the user just because you
think you know better what he wants is bad_design by definition.