> On a related note, the thread highlights that our tree textures are
> rather small, so our trees look quite blocky.

Stuart,

I created new textures for tropical trees a while ago, and I intend to improve
central European tree textures in the near future. Thorsten suggested [1]
separating foilage and trunk; is this what you have in mind?
I'm just waiting for the right weather to take pictures of the trunks -- and
then of course, for the trees become green again -- but then I can provide hi-
res tree textures.

Tom

[1]
http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19265&sid=d60eca7e515a1fcd8f7a8e881aba1a3c&start=15#p179241