From: Gary Neely [mailto:grne...@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 June 2013 18:33
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Bug 772 (Yasim on ground)

With respect, I'd prefer to hold off on this "fix" until we have more test
data and additional input by experienced Flightgear users. Which planes
exhibit this tendency under what exact conditions? What version of
Flightgear is being used? Under what OS? Did this effect begin to occur
after a specific Flightgear release?

Currently I've not experienced anything as severe as what some of the bug
posters describe, at least not with aircraft having well-designed and tuned
YASim FDMs. Admittedly I fly only a handful of planes, usually my own
efforts. I do know that YASim friction effects are not what they could be,
and this can be aggravated by poor friction settings or settings that have
been compromised to offset some other characteristic.

Many YASim planes don't have adequate weight-and-balance settings and
commonly aren't tested against pilot handbook crosswind limitations. Because
of this they often handle terribly under those conditions, with even modest
crosswinds. I know this because I've adjusted the balance and flight surface
effects of a number of YASim planes to allow them to handle crosswinds up to
the handbook's limits. I'm not suggesting this is necessarily related to the
"bug" problem, only that the "bug" needs to be tested against aircraft with
YASim FDMs that have been designed to reflect the aircraft's limitations.

-Gary aka Buckaroo