I am still mystified about the NVidia/AMD problem if it is such. I have
read and done everything mentioned on the SuSE site. On SuSE 8.1 with
the SuSE kernels, including the recent SuSE internal 2.4.21, there are
no problems. On the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, I get everything
up and working, but on every VT switch or shutdown, the machine imitates
a clam requiring a hardware reset.
        If I get the time, I must look around and see what and where the
differences are.I'm using the latest NVIDIA_*-1.0-4191.src.rpm.
Regards
Sid.

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 14:48, Curtis L. Olson wrote:
> Richard Keech writes:
> > support for 3D capabilities of NVIDIA cards is not open source.  you
> > will need binary-only kernel modules (from nvidia) to make this
> > work.  many report good success with these drivers, however
> > binary-only drivers should be strenuously avoided.  The use of these
> > drivers has been implicated in many stabiity problems with Linux.
>
> I would view the above quoted words as a political statement. :-)
>
> I would never discourage an open exchange of ideas here, but I
> disagree with much of the above.  It is true that nvidia's linux
> driver support is not open source.  But ATI's has also done their most
> recent driver release as binary only.  This means if you want to run
> an ATI or nVidia card you are going to have to live with binary only
> drivers on your machine.  If you choose anything else, you take a
> *big* step down in quality and/or performance.
>
> In terms of stability, the main problem I've seen is with older
> motherboards not doing reliable agp 4x or 2x or agp at all.  There is
> also a hardware bug that went unfixed for a *long* time that causes
> agp memory corruption when you mix AMD CPU's with AGP (supposedly
> fixed in recent linux kernels and recent AMD cpu's.)  There's an easy
> work around in linux if you find yourself with this problem.  But all
> of these major stability issues were beyond the scope of the drivers.
> The AMD/AGP one was really tricky so as people were floundering around
> for a year or two trying to figure it out, a lot of theories were
> tossed about, and there was a lot of confusion and hair pulling.  I'm
> sure the binary only nvidia drivers took their fair share of the
> blame.
>
> Yes, in a perfect world, all source would be open, we would all be
> working hard to make the world a better place, we'd all share the
> fruits of that hard labor freely and equally with those that are a
> little less fortunate, we'd all be dancing naked through the daisies
> with no worries and no fears.  But that, unfortunately, is not the
> world we live in.  People have to support their families and make
> money, and there are unfortunately too many people out there that
> don't want to work at all, but they still want to share the fruits of
> everyone else's labor, and live an easy life.
>
> The people at nVidia want to protect their efforts and continue to
> build and support their company and support their employees.  We may
> not always agree with everything they do or the way they do it, but
> they certainly have every right to release binary only drivers if
> that's the way they want to play it.  I personally don't have a
> problem with that.
>
> Personally, I think that if you want the best 3d performance and best
> 3d rendering quality on Linux, look at nvidia first (and I'm told that
> the latest ATI hardware and binary only drivers are pretty good too,
> but I haven't tried them myself.)
>
> Best regards,

> [...]
Sid Boyce ... hamradio G3VBV ... Cessna/Warrior Pilot
Linux only shop