Tony Peden writes:
> Sid, I think if you go back to earlier kernels, 2.4.10ish would
> certainly do it, you'd have a better chance of experiencing
> the problem.
>
> Jon, the AMD problem was a known bug that AMD & MS put out fixes
> for.

And the problem on the Linux side was that the wording of the bug
report/notification was very obscure (maybe due to embarrassment over
the stupidity of the bug?)  Because of the obscure language, the Linux
people completely missed it and didn't realize what they were talking
about.  So the bug lived for a long time unaddressed in the linux
world.  Meanwhile people were blaming the problem on buggy agp
hardware, lousy binary graphics drivers, sun spots, bad application
code, bad RAM, bad graphics hardware, buggy XFree86 code, and just
about anything else you could imagine.

Curt.