On 5 Feb 2003, Sid Boyce wrote:

>       I am still mystified about the NVidia/AMD problem if it is such. I have
> read and done everything mentioned on the SuSE site. On SuSE 8.1 with
> the SuSE kernels, including the recent SuSE internal 2.4.21, there are
> no problems. On the 2.4.20 kernel from ftp.kernel.org, I get everything
> up and working, but on every VT switch or shutdown, the machine imitates
> a clam requiring a hardware reset.

There are certain functions on AGP graphics cards which, according to the
AGP specs *require* cache flushes after they've been used. If this is not
done then operation after that is "undefined". Part of the reason that
nvidia achieve such high performance is cutting corners on things like
this. It's just possible that the effect of this corner cutting is felt
more on AMD hardware than on intel.

--
Jon Stockill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]