> > I think the best thing would be to create an STR and post the icon
> and your patches there, for folk to take a look at.
> >

> Ok, I will do it so (at least I will try)

It's not so hard; you'll be fine!

> > The icon file is 32k bytes now?
> > That seems OK, maybe a bit larger than I'd have expected... OK, just
> checked, and the icon I've been using for my app is 29k, but it has
> sizes from 16x16 up to 256x256 in it.
> >

> May be the tool I used add some garbage in it.

Possible, though seems unlikely. Is the source image very complex? I guess the
size of the ico file might be dominated by the complexity of the source image?
Or are they uncompressed images?

Oh, maybe it's a colour depth thing, then? Is that possible...
Now I can't remember what information is in the .ico format...

> > My understanding is that, for Win7 at least, we'd really want a
> 128x128 as well, possibly even a 256x256 just in case!

Just checked the MS docs; I was wrong about the 128x128 size. Vista/Win7 wants
the 256x256 size, and older versions (i.e. XP) only go up to 64x64, so the 128
size is probably less useful...

Sounds like we'd want, as a minimum:

<quote>
Application icons and Control Panel items: The full set includes 16x16, 32x32,
48x48, and 256x256 (code scales between 32 and 256). The .ico file format is
required. For Classic Mode, the full set is 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48 and
64x64.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa511280.aspx#size
</quote>

So... I guess we would want a superset of these...

16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 256x256

How does that sound?

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132