On 06.12.2012 20:42, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 18:34:52 +0100, Albrecht Schlosser wrote:

> [...]
>> But the demand is not to use the normal keyboard, but one that is
>> easier to use blindly with one hand (left or right), if such a
>> keyboard exists and can be used with FLTK. That's why I'm asking
>> here for FLTK experiences with such special hardware. Someone else
>> is also trying to find such a keyboard by internet search and such...
>
> What about using two-digit codes? There are separate numeric keypads on
> the market.

Thanks for this idea. I thought of these numeric keypads, but my idea
was more to use one key for each counter. I still prefer this, since the
"original" (specialized) hardware used before had such keys/buttons for
each counter (cell type or whatever was to be counted).

> Using two-digit codes you can count up to 81 different species and still
> reserve the digit zero for special purposes.

If we can't find a better solution, I'll consider this, but I believe
that hitting two keys (and memorizing the numbers for each counter
would be a little too difficult for the users).

> As to typing blindly, the case of the qwerty keyboard is special, it
> requires the user to sit comfortably with the keyboard in a
> ergonomically convenient position, etc. When peeping into a microscope,
> with one hand on the levers to adjust the focus and move the specimen,
> and the other hand on the keyboard, you will likely have trouble finding
> the right keys reliably, unless there are very few distinct keys. The
> central area with 3-by-3 keys, 1-9, is ideal.

The devices that were used before had maybe about 12 or 16 main keys
in an optimal order/position, and some more for less often used other
inputs. This seemed to work well, and I believe that this can be
handled by most users. If there were more keys, I believe that they
should be "blocked" in two or more areas, so that the user can find
a particular key easily w/o looking at the device...

> In order to facilitate blind operation, I would make the computer
> produce distinct audible tones as you register the codes, different
> sounds or sound sequences for each code.

Thanks, I thought of that too, but I'm not sure that this wouldn't be
too annoying for other users sitting nearby. The old devices had a
simple key click, but I don't know if it could be switched off.

> I would give some attention to making convenient shortcuts for often
> needed operations. Suppose you become proficient and count quickly one
> "23", then one "11", then one "17", but then you realize that the "23"
> was misidentified and should have been a "24". Pressing minus three
> times cancels the last three counts, pressing 2,4 corrects the 23, and
> then pressing zero twice is a redo of the "11" and the "17". A suitable
> auditory feedback at each point would help ensure correct operation. If
> you see three of the same species, hit "41" (or whatever) for the first
> one, then hit "+" twice for the next two.

Yep, that's a good idea, whatever input device we'd use.

Thanks for your reply and advice

Albrecht