On 07.12.2012 08:18, Edzard Egberts wrote:
> Edzard Egberts schrieb:
[...]

>> For a vending machine I once designed an additional customers keyboard:
>>
>> I used single keys on a pcb and a controller to send the keys by RS232.
>> The software (yes, uses FLTK ;o) opens the RS232-Port and reads the keys
>> different from main keyboard to a special application (POS).
>>

> The main problem would be the pcb and the keys, for controller today I
> would use one of them  http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products (for little
> amount of pieces) - they are very easy to program (C++!), so there is no
> "controller development" to do.

Thanks for this info. If we can't find a complete solution, I would
also consider building an own device, but that is probably not what
my customer (a software development company) want to do. However, if
it was possible to find someone who builds a case with the keys and
puts the controller inside, then ... maybe.

I looked at a few examples and saw that using a serial line (RS232, as
you mentioned, too) seems to be easy. However, that makes connecting the
device more complicated. Do you know whether there are better ways to
do it, maybe with a direct USB driver and an API that makes it more
"direct" to use the key presses? (Sorry, if this is also in their
examples, I only took a quick look and not an exhaustive investigation).

Thanks,

Albrecht