>> The main problem would be the pcb and the keys, for controller today I
>> would use one of them http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Products (for little
>> amount of pieces) - they are very easy to program (C++!), so there is no
>> "controller development" to do.
>
> Thanks for this info. If we can't find a complete solution, I would
> also consider building an own device, but that is probably not what
> my customer (a software development company) want to do. However, if
> it was possible to find someone who builds a case with the keys and
> puts the controller inside, then ... maybe.

Every engineering office using microcontrollers should be able to do
this for you - it is a "just to do thing", nothing special. It's a
standard problem to design special keyboards for devices, e.g. plastic
foil keyboards. But for your application you should use single keys,
because they are more tactile and durable.

Anyway - did you think of keyboard beeps for distinguish blind
keypressing? This is also a thing, a microcontroller could do for you
(okay, much sophisticated).

And regarding to the software development company - selling own hardware
saves a dongle. ;o)

> Do you know whether there are better ways to
> do it, maybe with a direct USB driver and an API that makes it more
> "direct" to use the key presses?

Most of the USB solutions create a virtual RS232 port for communication
to software. Also the Arduino does - there is a usb connection, but you
can access it as a serial device.