> > Even in his day, I think Mozart had a publisher. And his music wouldn't
have
> > survived if it hadn't been written down on paper.
>
> Still, his music was legitimately "released" and later embraced by the
public
> all without the assistance of "cover art" which was my point.  To feel a
sense
> of illegitimacy about the state of one's music because it has no
associated
> cover art is a result of what man has done with Edison's original
invention
> and idea.  As far as I know, such thoughts didn't exist before the
existence
> of recorded music.

> Myke

For sure, LP's covers had to wait until Edison to appear as a fruitful
idea...
however, it seems to me that written music, and I'm not only speaking of the
enluminated religious song codexes of the medieval ages, used to be loudly
illustrated, particularly when the were published, as far as music, since
the Eighteenth century used to be known through  publication of partitions
in a large scale. XIXth century had even some of its best painters used to
illustrate the partitions of the most advanced composer of their time, like
the Nabis did with the Théatre de l'Oeuvre of Charles Lugné-Poe..