Hi Michael,

On Dec 20, 2010, at 06:39 , Michael Haupt wrote:
> take a look at Ian's recent S3 paper, download the corresponding source code,
> and have fun.

I'm glad you had fun with that code.

Here's another small example that might provide some fun.

http://piumarta.com/tmp/maru

(On Linux, type "make".  On Darwin, edit the first line of emit.l to set
__MACH__ to anything other than () then type "make".  MinGW has library issues
and doesn't work -- sorry.)

This is a metacircular evaluator for an s-expression language, plus a "level
shift" from s-expressions down to IA32 machine code to escape the infinite
metacircular regress.

boot-eval.c contains a reader/evaluator for the s-expression language, written
in C.  eval.l contains the same evaluator, written in the s-expression
language.  emit.l contains a compiler from s-expressions to IA32 machine code,
written in the s-expression language.  boot.l contains some data structures and
algorithms needed by emit.l, written in the s-expression language.

boot-eval.c is compiled and then run on boot.l+emit.l+eval.l to create eval.s,
a machine code implementation of the s-expression evaluator.  eval.s is then
assembled and linked to make eval, which can be run on boot.l+emit.l+eval.l to
create eval.s.  The C compiler is then entirely out of the loop (unless you
lose a working evaluator and need to bootstrap again).

The s-expression language has a few interesting characteristics.  You can get a
feeling for some of them by looking how messaging and multimethods are
implemented.  The compiler makes some attempt to be small and simple (1750 loc
for all three ".l" files, including some debugging cruft that could be removed)
and no attempt whatsoever to optimise.  Even so, the generated code runs at 40%
the speed of aggressively-optimised C on my E5430, measured by the convenient
macro benchmark: dividing the run time of regenerating eval.s via eval by that
of generating it initially via boot-eval.

Wrap up warm against all that snow, and have a happy new year!

Regards,
Ian