John,

It is true you can't know exact intention but that hasn't stopped
computer scientists from trying to answer the question. For example,
Joe Goguen's work on algebraic semiotics resulted in Joe developing a
few basic rules for mapping information from one medium to another.
Joe's first rule was "Wherever possible, preserve the structure of the
content."

I could think of... and have thought of... a lot of techniques for
automatically porting code (an extremely difficult problem,
considering it covers correct live migration from an Intel to an
adversarial AMD processor with possibly deliberately incompatible
Instruction Set Architecture), including ways to automatically
trade-off structure with other goals in a controlled fashion.  One
that Goguen was interested in was "content mixing" or "predictive
modeling" - hot buzzwords before the AI Winter came and dried up lots
of interesting funding. It is starting to re-emerge because of the
multi-core kerfluffle, since it can achieve the sorts of
"parallel-busyness" chipmaker's crave. I'd recommend Mark Turner's
paper Forging Connections, which suggests some meaning belong to the
mapping itself, rather the source-target approaches.  In other words,
we tend to construct meaning in a blend between the source and target.
We don't just have mappings-as-meanings , but "forge" meaning *from*
mapping. (I hope I explained that well.)