From: John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 9:27:54 PM
Subject: Re: [fonc] Question about OMeta

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The larger problems will require something like "negotiation" between modules
(this idea goes back to some of the agent ideas at PARC, and was partially
catalyzed by the AM and Eurisko work by Doug Lenat).

Separate thread of thought:

Some rather successful designs do recursive negotiation for request resolution.

I gave an HTTP example on LtU awhile back [1], explaining why REST is such a
good design for an Interpreter pattern to handle very large-scale systems.  I
also link it to the best solution to Wadler's Expression Problem that I've seen
yet (and, according to Wadler, the best he's seen in Haskell [2]; the reader
comments there are pretty good as well): Data Types a la Carte.

Also, Sameer Sundresh recently completed his Ph.D. thesis, Request-Based
Mediated Execution [3], under Jose' Meseguer.  I spoke with him about how
broadly applicable I felt his ideas were, but we seemed to part views on the
best practical demonstrations for his work.

For example, Sameer is now a founder at Djangy which provides cloud hosting for
Django apps.  He thought that the ideas in his thesis we good building blocks
for automatically sandboxing system resources, such as in a multi-tenancy cloud
app.  I disagreed, since I would prefer a system built from first principles
using an ocaps system.  What I meant was that his "good example" would become
obsolete in 50 years, and so I was pushing for examples that I thought would be
timeless.  I suggested an Object-Relational Mapper architecture built using
this
sort of recursive negotiation, since it doesn't work that way today in any ORM
implementation and would emphasize the biggest feature of his thesis: Giving
the
power to the programmer, rather than the language's interpreter.

But a big challenge is figuring out how to verify this sort of
call-by-intention
is correct.

[1] http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3846#comment-57350
[2] http://wadler.blogspot.com/2008/02/data-types-la-carte.html