From: John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com>
To: Fundamentals of New Computing <fonc@vpri.org>; jamie.dougl...@boeing.com
Sent: Mon, April 11, 2011 8:21:06 PM
Subject: Re: [fonc] Question about OMeta

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Alan Kay <alan.n...@yahoo.com> wrote:

But now you are adding some side conditions :)

>For example, if you want comparable or even better abstractions in the target
>language, then there is a lot more work that has to be done (and I don't know
>of
>a great system that has ever been able to do this well e.g. to go from an
>understandable low level meaning to really nice code using the best
>abstractions
>of the target language). Maybe John Z knows?

Alan,

There was a guy at SPLASH 2010 that was talking about wanting to build such a
system.  I think he was a researcher at Boeing, but he came across as so
practically minded that I thought he was a programmer just like me.

I don't know why you thought I specifically would have any ideas on this...
but...

Tell me your thoughts on
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~nlopezgi/flexitools/papers/douglass_flexitools_splash2010.pdf

I am surprised you didn't mention this above since he uses Squeak for the
bootstrap.  I suggested at SPLASH that he contact you (VPRI, really),
especially
when you consider how close by you are.

As for UNCOL, I have Sammet's book on programming and there are some really
interesting conferences from the 1950s that are covered in the
preface/disclaimer.  Well, at least I think it's the book that mentions it.
Either way I couldn't easily look up these references or find proceedings from
conferences in the 1950s.