2011/6/3 Benoît Fleury <benoit.fle...@gmail.com>:
> I tend to agree with you. The uniform interface of the web (reduced
> set of HTTP verbs, links...) is what make all these applications
> possible. We know what to do when we have the URL to the flickr image.
> But we could do so much more.

I agree with you there.  We can certainly continue to make things better!

But (as the HTML folk learned w/ the success of HTML5) the way to go
forward is to *build on* the past, not throw it out and start over.
If we can come up with new technologies that interoperate, that
provide backward-compatibility hooks, and that provide transition
paths, then they have a chance to improve the platform that everyone
is using.

The future has turned out to be much messier than past architects
imagined.  We have neither solved "strong AI" nor have we convinced
humans to generate content which adheres to rigid semantics.  Instead
we have a strange new world where "unstructured databases" can exist,
often can be searched, and "most likely" will generate useful results.
 Probabilistic models have triumphed over formal correctness.

And if you think that's horrifying, you should see some of the work my
former advisor is/was doing on "failure-oblivious computing"
(http://people.csail.mit.edu/rinard/acceptability_oriented_computing/).
 Rather shockingly, the best thing to do is often to "muddle
through"...

But now we've drifted far off topic; all of this is rather orthogonal
to the goal of making systems which people can more broadly
understand, use, and modify.  Having a beautiful small kernel is a
good way to make an understandable system; throwing in everything but
the kitchen sink is a good way to make an unobjectionable system which
gets adopted easily by lots of different people with strong
preexisting ideas about the way things ought to work.  I would imagine
the fonc project would want to steer a middle course.  (Alan has
previously spoken of the need for extensibility, which is one way to
build a popular featureful system out of a small kernel.)
  --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )