On Jun 9, 2011, at 5:58 AM, Julian Leviston <jul...@leviston.net> wrote:
> On 09/06/2011, at 7:04 PM, BGB wrote:
>> actually, possibly a relevant question here, would be why Java applets
>> largely fell on their face, but Flash largely took off (in all its uses from
>> YouTube to "Punch The Monkey"...).
> My own opinion of this is the same reason that the iPad feels faster than a
> modern desktop operating system: it was quicker to get to the user
> interaction point.
> Julian.

The slow startup time is indeed why Sun's own team felt that Java
failed to get traction.  Unfortunately some basic architecture choices
in the standard library made it extremely difficult to fix the
problem.  (Broadly, how class initialization is handled and used.) The
latest Java plugins contain some impressive engineering to mitigate
the problem, but Java is still sluggish to start in my experience.

Library design matters!
 --scott

--
      ( http://cscott.net )