From: fonc-boun...@vpri.org [mailto:fonc-boun...@vpri.org] On Behalf Of
Michael Forster
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 1:19 PM
To: Fundamentals of New Computing
Subject: Re: [fonc] Alternative Web programming models?

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:58 PM, C. Scott Ananian <csc...@laptop.org> wrote:
[...]
> The web is not *only* an OS.  It also provides the backing data for a
> very large unstructured database.  Google of course realize this, as
> their company rests on a search engine.  The semantic web folks have
> tried in vain to get people to add more structure to the database.
> What the "web OS" must do is allow the efficient export of additional
> *unstructured and ad hoc* data.  HTML+CSS web applications today are
[...]

Sorry for the tanget, but there is no such thing as an "unstructured
database."  Whether talking about the logical or physical level, a database
is a specfication of data structure (and constraints upon that data).  Dr.
Kay once characterised computing as a "pop culture,"
and statements such as the above reflect that.

Regards,

Mike