I wish that emacs / vi, GBD, and the Unix shell had anything close to the
"n00b mode" provided by Squeak in terms of inline documentation, tool tips,
menus etc.. But, yeah, Squeak has serious problems, and you're absolutely
right that it's too hard to tinker with the core of it, just like every
other computing system on the planet. When you hack your kernel, should you
be free enough to do so, you *expect* to break everything... don't
you? You'll notice we've been discussing things like Worlds, which might be
one way to address this particular issue.

Pioneering isn't for everyone, but the conventional roads don't lead where I
want to go. My daily software environment has been over-engineered to solve
too many problems I don't have. I'd like to be able to shed some of the
excess complexity of a conventional OS while retaining the media
capabilities and increasing the overall expressive power. I don't mind
giving up the comfort of familiar habits, and I don't give a whit about
delivering a product to anyone. That's why I read this list.

-- Max