David Barbour wrote:

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 12:30 AM, karl ramberg <karlramb...@gmail.com
<mailto:karlramb...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I don't think you can do this project without a understanding of
    art. It's a fine gridded mesh that make us pick between practically
    similar artifacts with ease and that make the engineer baffled. From
    a engineering standpoint there is not much difference between a
    random splash of paint and a painting by Jackson Pollock. You can
    get far with surprisingly little resources if done correctly.

    Karl

I think, even with an understanding of art and several art history
classes in university, it is difficult to tell the difference between a
random splash of paint and a painting by Jackson Pollock.

Regards,

Dave

If I recall correctly, there is a method: zoom in.  Pollock's paintings
are remarkable in that they tend to display the same amount of entropy
no matter how much you zoom in (well, up to 100, actually).  Like a
fractal.

(Warning: this is a distant memory, so don't count me as a reliable
source.)

Loup.