With great trepidation, I will try to keep this to computing :D

It may revolve around the meaning of "uploading", but my problem with the
uploading approach, is that it makes a copy. Whether a copy is the same as
the real thing I feel is beyond the scope of a computing discussion in this
particular sense. I assert, that I am not interested in a copy of Me (in
legal style, I will use capitals for defined terms).

The next thing is the definition of Me. For the purpose of this, Me is
defined as the pattern of interaction of physical processes that happens
within the volume bound by my skin. I will further refine to a concept of
Sensory Me, which I will define as the pattern of interaction of physical
processes that happens within my nervous system. I will further refine to a
concept of the Conscious Me, which I will define as the "pattern of
interaction" from the definition of Sensory Me, and it is separate from the
"physical processes" of the same.

With the definition of Conscious Me in place, what I am interested in is
preserving the Conscious Me whether in its original form (i.e. implemented
on top of original physical processes, that is embodied in a human body),
or over a different substrate.

Side note: if you disagree with my definitions, then please don't argue the
conclusions using your own definitions. I consider it axiomatic that from
different definitions we'll likely arrive at something different, so no
argument is to be had really.

It seems to me to be possible to one by one replace various physical
processes with a different type that would result in supporting the same
pattern of interaction (Conscious Me).  The distinction I am making, is
that I am interested in continuing the existing pattern (Conscious Me),
hot-swapping, so to speak, the physical processes implementing it. This is
the best illustration of why I feel "uploading", which to me implies a
copy, would be wrong and horrible. Because the existing pattern would then
be discontinued as the uploaded pattern would be permitted to endure.

More on computation...

There is ample evidence, that I will sort of assume and handwave, that our
Conscious Me's are capable of great flexibility and plasticity. For
example, when I drive a car, my concept of "me" incorporates the machine I
am operating. This effect is even more pronounced when piloting an
aircraft. Or our ability to train our brains to see with our
tounges<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=device-lets-blind-see-with-tongues>

I am very interested in the Hierarchical Temporal
Memory<https://www.numenta.com/technology.html#cla-whitepaper>(the
"HTM") model of how the human neocortex computes and a lot of my views
about Conscious Me are informed by the HTM model. HTM proposes one
algorithm, implemented on a certain physical architecture, that can give a
rise to "Metaphors We Live
By"<http://www.amazon.com/Metaphors-We-Live-By-ebook/dp/B006KYECYA/ref=tmm_kin_title_0>types
of thinking that human beings seem to have.

The reason I am very interested in dynamic objects all the way down (types
of systems VPRI is building) is because I am looking at them through the
lens of preserving the Conscious Me. Fully dynamic objects running on
hardware seem promising in this regard. The Actor Model also helps to frame
some of the things through a slightly different lens, and hence my interest
in it. Both seem to allow emergent behavior for processes that may in the
future support Conscious Me.

Admittedly, the interface between the two physical processes remains as a
subject for future research.