I don't think cut and paste has been the source of the problems with the
systems I've worked on (could be a symptom of one or more of the problems.)
What I see is long-term systems built around short-term, usually
competitive goals, by people who are competing both with one another (for
jobs, promotions, raises, social capital, etc,) and also cooperating with
one another to compete with other businesses at the same time. Most
people's programming habits seem to change dramatically, for example, when
they expect to throw something away. Most programmers dump the company
every 2-5 years for another (higher-paying) job, so it's *all* disposable
code in effect. It's not just the programmers either, it's the decision
makers at C-level too, who are quite often "building the company to sell
the company."

Maybe the kids are getting dumber, but what I see when I look around is
smart kids being pushed to ship before the bits are ready, and not being
*allowed* to fix "low-value" bugs which gradually accumulate until a system
is deep-sixed for being painful to work on. In other words, I don't believe
there's a software crisis or any real shortage of programming talent (I
know plenty of great programmers who regularly go without work, often
because they're unimpressed with the offers they're seeing.) I think it's
not a software crisis, I think it's a *management* crisis.

I do think new tools to make
managers/customers/investors/partners/users/programmers less stressed out
could make the overall experience better for all involved, and with that I
guess I'm talking about the continuing emergence of an engineering
discipline in software.

But that's in-house code. OTOH, FreeBSD has usually been pretty stable for
me; I don't have to put out its fires very much.

Why might this be? Let's try some fun game theory!

http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2013/130801/ncomms3193/pdf/ncomms3193.pdf