On Wednesday 01 August 2001 09:19, Alistair Hopkins wrote:
> I'm also using it in production to generate simple but nice printable
> invoices from a website.  As a precaution, only company staff can access
> the invoice download at the moment, but I'm going to throw it open to the
> punters soon as there have been 0 problems over the last 6 months.

Agreed, to all. See my earlier reply to Darren. You guys are doing things
right...for a variety of reasons (cost of ownership, ease of use, etc) you've
all made an informed decision to use FOP. I think you all know that it
doesn't do nearly everything and it doesn't do everything correctly, but
there is a subset of stuff that FOP already handles OK.

I'm personally very pleased that FOP gets used. I'd be less interested in
working on the thing if it wasn't. Unfortunately we have to issue some blunt
disclaimers occasionally, along the lines of DO NOT USE FOP FOR PRODUCTION;
if you know what you're doing you can interpret that how you want. :-)

Unfortunately what happens is that despite all the disclaimers we get
compared to production-ready stuff. As a result, despite every statement that
FOP is under development, people get the impression that FOP is ready for use.

I think we are exactly where we should expect to be given resources involved
with this project. By the time FOP is ready I estimate that 2 calendar years
will have elapsed. On average I'll bet that we haven't even come close to the
equivalent of one (1) FT resource, current circumstances excepted. Writing an
XSL formatter is a big deal, and if I was estimating such a project from
scratch I'd give it 2 person-years of _effort_ easy (maybe more). So it's no
surprise that we are where we are.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

--