Randall,

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:51:56 Randall Parker wrote:
> So then Acrobat can draw the text at 45, 135, 225 and 315 degrees? (ie
> 1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30) I don't see any text at those positions in the
> textAsShapes=false version.

No, I was talking about the font problem, not the position problem.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001 21:53:07 Randall Parker wrote:
> If your problem is that you don't know which direction is up for the top
> and which direction is forward (ie to the figurative right) for the text
> then perhaps a little heuristic can be employed. You
> could add something to the x and y and transform that and find out in
> which direction in transformed space the new points show up at.

The problem is, unfortunately, more complicated than that.
The coordinates for pdf have
- (0,0) bottom left, (width,0) bottom right, (0,height) top left

svg have
- (0,0) top left, (width,0) top right, (0,height) bottom left

This is fine for most things, there is a transform that converts between
these two coordinates and it works for line drawing. Images are outside
this transform but can easily be transformed when the image is place.
Text on the other hand does something else entirely. If I just apply the
current transform (as is done for lines) then it puts the text in the
correct position except if has been flipped along the basline of the text.
If I try to apply an appropriate transform (only one can be used for text)
then it puts normal horizontal text in the right place but as you have seen
other text goes to various other places. The problem is we have two
different transforms (coordinate and text) that interact in some unknown
way (at least I don't know it, maybe someone else can figure it out).

I may be able to solve the problem by putting hte right transform with the
right type of transform in the right place.