I don't know, Max, I interpret "role" more narrowly than that. The spec
indicates that "role" is meant to assist alternate renderers.

Here we are talking about identifying XML elements so that an XSLT
transformation can do some work on them; so this all should happen prior to
formatting and ought not be handled by using XSL-FO. IMO. In effect it is
immaterial to the question as to whether it is an fo:block that contains a
date field or it is an igglfix:blah.

Regards, Arved Sandstrom

P.S. Please hold your questions concerning the "igglfix" namespace and the
powerful IGGLFIX 1.0 vocabulary. :-)

At 10:44 AM 10/24/01 +0200, Max Froumentin wrote:

>The "role" attribute is supposed to be used to add semantics to
>formatting objects. Either it can contain a simple string (prboably
>"date" in your case), or a QName from your own namespace.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#role
>
>Max.
>

>You wrote:
>
>> During the concatenation process, I need to find all the dates throughout
>> the different reports and update them to the current date.  Is there an
easy
>> way to mark a <fo:block> as containing a date string?
>>
>> I tried using the id="date" attribute, but you can't use that multiple
times
>> per document.  But I need something similiar to distinguish parts of the
>> document that are related.

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)